Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Guests

FIRST AND FOREMOST

We have hot water.  Thank you all for listening to me complain about this for a week.  And thank you to Vanessa for letting me come over and shower in the morning before work.



So this weekend, we had guests.  Taylor and Elaine showed up to stay with us for a few days.

We went for drinks (frequently), toured Parliament, saw The Shining at an old theatre (as per usual, Elaine fell asleep during the movie), etc.  One of the bars we went to was supposed to be a Maritime themed bar.  I asked the singer to play the most Maritime-y song he knew.

"Uh...I just moved here from Miami...soooooo I don't know any?  I can give you guys a shout out though.  HEY EVERYONE! THESE GUYS ARE FROM HALIFAX!  Everyone put your drink in the air - CHEERS!"

To which the Halifax crew yelled back "SOCIABLES!"

The former Floridian gave us a confused look and started singing something from the Top 40.

(Don't worry - we all ended up back at our apartment, very drunk, bellowing out Barrett's Privateers).



When Taylor and Elaine first got here, I explained to them that I had spent a few hours cleaning the place, but that they wouldn't be able to tell.  They came into the basement, looked around, and nodded.  I showed them around, which took about 5 seconds, and we started to chat in the kitchen.

Elaine poked at some strange black stain on the floor with her toe.  She looked up and said, "All these black marks are kind of just stuck to the floor, eh?"

I nodded, and told her that I had swept.  And mopped.

She looked around the floor, and as I noticed her eyes stop on the big purple patch under the white linoleum, I preemptively answered her question.

"We're pretty sure that's mold that got underneath the floor.  It's in the bathroom too.  It just looks funny, but it seems pretty harmless down there."

She laughed and shook her head.  "You know," she said, "I really thought you were exaggerating about this place."

I smiled, and nodded.

"It's...," she began.  "There's lots of um..."

"Please don't," I said.  "You really don't need to feel like you have to find something to compliment.  We'll be here all day.  And it's only for a few months."

She laughed and said, "Well, they put hardwood floors in our penthouse, so you have that to look forward to when you come back in September."



Good news though - we got the hot water fixed the morning they showed up, so hot showers were available for our guests (and more importantly, for us).  Our landlady let us borrow her vacuum.  And we cleared the garbage off our porch, so now we have a pretty sweet sitting spot outside.

Things are coming up Milhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment